1/5/08

January TIF



It took a couple of days to come up with the direction I want to take this challenge but I decided I liked the idea of a window or an altar...I sketched out several shapes and decided I like this shape and it will work throughout the year....or something similar....
The theme for this month is Who Do You Admire and it was a tough one, as I have lots of people I admire but I finally decided on Georgia O'Keeffe as she was my first major inspiration and hope that a woman could make it in the "serious" art world. Plus her work just blew me away back in 1976 when I saw my first copy of the book on her work just published.
She's well known for her flowers and her landscapes but I couldn't pick just one of her pieces to incorporate into the TIF piece, so here's a photo of her, taken around 1920 by her not-yet-husband, Alfred Stieglitz. I also wanted to go with a more muted color scheme than you might expect and somehow this batik reminded me of the sand and hills of the desert where she made her home in her later years, Abiqui, New Mexico.

4 comments:

s said...

I can't wait to see what you do here.
One day I want to go up to the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum in Santa Fe.
Thanks for the post on my new blog, you are my first visitor there.
Hugs,
Sunni

KV said...

I like your color scheme and your choice of an O'Keefe photo. This will be an interesting project to follow as it develops. Your colors are right on especially for this time of year here in New Mexico.

Kathy V in NM

Timaree said...

It will be interesting to see what you do with this. I joined the challenge but wonder if I'm not in over my head (besides being 3 months behind on the BJP).

beadbabe49 said...

thanks, sunni...a trip to the museum would be my first stop if I ever make it to NM!

thanks kathy!

freebird, I love what you're doing for the TIF challenge...and it's only the 6th! I almost decided to do something else since this one fell together so quickly for me, but that would be silly, so I just went ahead and posted it!
You'll do fine!