12/2/08

Back to Work





Every December our local city-owned art gallery (where I work parttime) has a push pin show that is open to all county residents....all ages, all mediums BUT the piece has to be hung using not more than 4 push pins....that cuts out most sculpture and all heavy, large painting, etc. but it still brings in some of the most fun art work of the year. I think our youngest artists are from the montessori school and are probably around 4-5 and the oldest (at least once) in their 90's! Chuck and I always enter a piece and this is mine for this year....I usually don't submit beadwork...I take this time to play with something I normally don't do. This piece is made from an old balsa wood cigarillo box with some wooden print blocks that say, DO IT, a polyclay mask/face made by a friend of mine, a small accordion book of some of my very early digital prints called Masks, some amusement park tokens, a clothespin I painted black and added an incised copper collar to and on the top, a digital photo of one of our flowers that I used a filter on...I had fun putting it all together and I think it will be a fun piece for the show.
Second photo is the very beginning of my December BJP...I'm thinking of a black madonna and child and my inspiration for this piece is some of the Russian Icons I've been collecting photos of for years...they've always fascinated me, for some reason.
Anyway...at least I'm back to work again!

4 comments:

skyewriter said...

Your work is gorgeous! I saw your post over on M & H and had to come check out your blog. You are going on my blog roll.

I'll be back to look at more. I love the houses in your banner; my sister would go gahgahgahgahgah!
Cheers!

Magpie Sue said...

Fun compilation for the city show. Looking forward to seeing the Madonna and child develope...

Pursuing Art... said...

What a fun piece you did for the show! I sure wish I could be there. How fun to have all ages and different mediums. Maybe you would take a few pictures to share with us? I'd love to see some of your favorites!

Oh, I can already imagine the beauty in the black madonna and child piece! I can't wait to see it. I know it will be outstanding!!!

Talk to you soon...

~Lisa ;-)

beadbabe49 said...

thanks, skye and sue!

hi lisa...wish you could participate too...it would be great to see you...