2/25/07

Station 4 of the Basho piece


"I went to see the shrine of Muronoyashima. According to Sora, my companion, this shrine is dedicated to the goddess called the Lady of the Flower-Bearing Trees, who has another shrine at the foot of Mt.Fuji. This goddess is said to have locked herself up in a burning cell to prove the divine nature of her newly-conceived son when her husband doubted it. As a result, her son was named the Lord Born Out of the Fire, and her shrine, Muro-no-yashima, which means a burning cell."

5 comments:

Beadin' Gram said...

This series is really wonderful, BB. I finally have the book -- will try to follow along as you put this book into art of another form.

beadbabe49 said...

BG, which translation do you have?

The Lone Beader said...

I'm loving these faces, too...

Beadin' Gram said...

I have the Sam Hamill translation of "Narrow Road to the Interior". Also have another translation of his entitled "The Sound of Water". A wonderful little purse size book.

beadbabe49 said...

oh kewl! then you've got the same one I've got...it is a nice size too, isn't it...giggle!