10/26/07

Good Ideas and Not So Good



I've been working on a bracelet design all week and I think I've labored mightily and brought forth a mouse...LOL! Somehow it looked much better in my head, ya know? So, I think I'll keep the hours and hours of RAW and figure out something that works better for the spaces that are now threaded with a peyote strip...
On the good idea front....this is a great pattern from Phyllis Dintenfass (there's a kit on her website here) that I just had to have. I've been beading for so long, especially off-loom stitches that it's rare for me to see anything I haven't seen before or made myself. But I saw this in the article on Phyllis in this month's Step by Step Beads and just could not figure out how to make her exquisite little sea whirl pins. Well, now I know...and they're great fun to make! I'm on my second one already and will be adding it to my november bjp, I think.

7 comments:

KV said...

Doncha just hate it when this happens? I am muddling through a Xmas present for my oldest daughter -- the pattern has been fraught with errors -- but I am a stubborn old coot and this necklace will get done!!!

Love that sea whirl pin!

Kathy V in NM

Jackie (Tillie's Daughter) said...

That pin is gorgeous -- WOW -- and on that great hand, the bracelet looks pretty darn good -- I know you will come up with something spectacular to fill the spaces --

beadbabe49 said...

hi kathy...well, I tell myself that it's only by trying and falling on my face that I learn...LOL! I usually don't miss by this much on my own designs though!
phyllis is from your part of the country, jackie (wisconsin)...you could check out her website and see if she's teaching any classes near you next year?

artandtea said...

Ooooo, that sea whirl is fabulous! I'll have to check out Phyllis's site. Thanks for the link.
Your display hand is awesome. Love it!
Something contrasting in size in the spaces? Like a single bead or a pearl?
-Karen

beadbabe49 said...

yeah, karen...I was thinking something large-ish and swarovski...

The new step by step beads has a great article on phyllis and wonderful photos of her work, including a few that aren't on her blog.

Jackie (Tillie's Daughter) said...

Thanks, Bobbi, I will check and see if she has any classes in the area. Appreciate you pointing it out to me. I need lots of direction LOL.

Magpie Sue said...

That sea whirl pin is way cool! I've never done any off-loom work; all I do is bead embroidery at this point. This is very tempting, I have to say.